The Golden Rules of Interior Design
It takes years of education and a great deal of creativity to become an interior designer.
Fortunately, there’s no need to go to a design school if you wish to perform the “Do-It-Yourself” option for the interior design of your home.
Here are some principles of interior design that you can take to heart:
Rule #1: Comfort is the key.
No matter how good a piece of post-modern furniture looks, your main concern should be whether it will be a comfortable addition to your home.
Your home is your refuge after a tiring day, so you would want it to be as cozy and comfortable as possible. Remember, good interior design is all about making a “home sweet home” out of your living space, not turning your house into a non-functional showroom.
Rule #2: Consider your surroundings.
Luscious draperies may easily add elegance to a room, but if you live in a city with a humid weather and where living spaces are limited, having thick draperies might not be a smart choice. When planning your interior design, do take into consideration your environment, as well as the size of the room, lighting, and ventilation. This will narrow down your options to the most practical ones. After all, interior design is not only about aesthetics, it is also about functionality.
Rule #3: When in doubt, personalize.
Your home is a reflection of your personality, so go for an interior design that showcases your personal style. Pick colors you like and choose decorations that reflect your hobbies and interests. Before buying “highly-recommended” furniture, do consider if it suits your style.
Quick Interior Design Fixes Every Homeowner Should Know
Want to revamp your space but not ready for an overhaul? Here are some quick fixes that will instantly improve your space:
- Improve lighting. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need bright lights in every room. Install dimmers or soft-white bulbs in areas where you intend to relax, such as the dining area, the living room, and the bedroom. If you want a dramatic change, you can layer light sources for a more relaxed ambiance.
- Add color. If your room lacks character, it’s probably because it lacks color. Repaint your wall with a richer color or, if you prefer less work, choose a rug in a more vibrant shade. With the wall/rug paint as the base color, pick accent tones and use it on your curtains, pillows, and other accessories.
- Rearrange furniture.A common mistake in interior design is pushing everything against the walls to create more space, especially in communal areas. Instead of leaving an empty space in the middle of the room, move furniture closer to each other and fill out the arrangement with additional chairs and tables.
Revamping your home can be daunting at first, but not when you have the basics of interior design nailed down. Apply these principles and see your home transform from drab to fab.
- A&A Works
- A Brief Background On Interior Design In Singapore
- A&A Works For Landed Houses
- Rebuild For Landed Houses
- Condo Interior Design Singapore: Hire Professional Interior Design Firm
- HDB Flat Interior Design
- HDB Designer Renovation
- Best Interior Design Firm In Singapore
- HDB Home Renovation
- Condo Interior Design in Singapore