The Basics of Hospital Interior Design
With the growing attention accorded to health nowadays, good interior design is becoming a central consideration when it comes to healthcare facilities.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of interior design in the healthcare industry, as well as the complexities underlying hospital interior design.
The Complexities of Hospital Interior Design
Unlike other commercial establishments, hospitals are made up of several functional units, each of which has vastly different requirements and functions.
A functional interior design can make a hospital more comfortable, convenient, and efficient,whereas a bad interior design can impede on the proper execution of different activities.
It may likewise result to an increase in costs and, in worst case scenario, hinder the delivery of quality healthcare.
Despite the great importance accorded to function and efficiency when it comes to hospital interior design, it must be noted that there remain other important considerations.
In addition to ensuring the comfort of the patients and the mobility of the staff, hospitals must be designed in such a way so as to make them equally pleasing to visitors and children.
At present, the trend is geared towards replicating a therapeutic, even homely, environment in healthcare establishments.
Hospital Interior Design: Important Considerations
There are a number of important considerations that must be taken into account when planning the design of a hospital’s interior. The important considerations are as follow:
- Efficiency. Since hospitals are geared towards rendering health services efficiently, one of the top considerations in hospital interior design is practicability. On top of maximizing space, good hospital interior design should also promote staff efficiency and allow for easy staff supervision.
- Sanitation. A hospital’s interior design must also pay particular attention to cleanliness. Spaces must be easy to clean, so as to ensure that no places are left un-sanitized.
- Accessibility. Given the nature of hospitals, its interior design must comply with prevailing requirements on accessibility to ensure that people with disabilities—be it permanent or temporary—can easily navigate the premises.
- Safety. Given that the people staying in hospitals are mostly recuperating, it is necessary that the interiors be designed in such a way that the patients’ safety is ensured. For example, considerable precautions must be observed to ensure thatpotentially dangerous places such as stairs and railings will not cause accidents.
- Ambience. Hospitals tend to be stressful places. As such, there is a great need for hospitals to ensure that the environment is as comfortable and pleasing as possible, so as not to impede the recovery of patients. One way of doing this is by integrating the use of natural light into the interior design, in order to create a refreshing and homely atmosphere.
In the same way that interior design plays a crucial role in residential areas and business establishments, it also plays an important part in the healthcare industry.
In particular, hospital interior design focuses both on the allocation and utilization of space, specifically tailoring it to the needs of the people using and occupying it.
- A&A Works
- A Brief Background On Interior Design In Singapore
- A&A Works For Landed Houses
- Rebuild For Landed Houses
- Condo Interior Design Singapore: Hire Professional Interior Design Firm
- HDB Flat Interior Design
- HDB Designer Renovation
- Best Interior Design Firm In Singapore
- HDB Home Renovation
- Condo Interior Design in Singapore